It’s extremely important that you plan ahead carefully and purchase the right amount of sand, stone and gravel for your upcoming project.
Do you know the proper way to go about estimating your needs? It’s not as difficult as you might imagine.
Our online materials calculator can help you determine the quantity of materials you’ll require to complete your project in just a few easy steps. We’ll show you why a materials calculator is so valuable, how you can use one to your benefit and other tips for buying the right about of sand, stone or gravel.
Benefits of Using an Online Materials Calculator
Some people make the mistake of thinking that they can “guesstimate” the amount of materials that they’ll need for their projects. Doing so, however, can come with grave consequences. Purchasing to little or too much sand, stone, or gravel can end up wasting time and money, throwing your project off schedule and off budget. Making the decision to utilize a calculation tool can help you to:
- Avoid Buying Too Many Materials – What happens if you complete your project only to realize that you have a surplus of materials on hand? If you don’t have any other use for them, you’ll either be forced to store them for the possibility of future necessities or sell them. The problem with selling them is that you’ll likely take a loss on the materials.
- Avoid Buying Too Few Materials – When you run out of materials before the project is finished, your work will come to a halt as you pick up more sand, stone, or gravel from your supplier or await a delivery. In either case, you lose time and spend more money than originally anticipated.
The takeaway point here is that the only way to avoid serious roadblocks is by allowing a materials calculator to serve as your guide. By taking just a few moments to utilize this useful tool, you’ll end up saving yourself a great deal of stress in the long run.
Using Our Online Materials Calculator
We’ve made our online materials calculator as user-friendly as possible. In just three easy steps, you’ll be on your way to purchasing materials for your projects.
- 1. Measure Coverage Area – Measure the length and width of your coverage area and determine the required depth. If you’re unsure of depth requirements, seek the advice of a professional.
- 2. Enter Numbers Into the Calculator – Once you have your measurements, you will enter the numbers into the corresponding fields on our materials calculator. As an example, you may be installing a gravel walkway that’s 25 feet long and 3 feet wide. A good walkway depth is 3″.
- 3. Copy Down Your Results – After entering the data and clicking the “calculate” button, you’ll get your results. In the case of our 25x3x3 gravel walkway, the calculations will reveal that .69 cubic yards or .93 cubic tons of gravel is required to complete the project. Not only will this remind you how much material you’ll need to purchase, but it will also create a good talking point with your supplier about your needs.
Additional Tips for Buying Materials
It’s important to keep in mind that, despite the fact that materials calculators like our own are quite accurate, they only offer an estimate. In order to pinpoint exact numbers, it’s in your best interest to discuss your project specifications with a local supplier.
Industry experts will be aware of certain alterations that may need to be made to calculations based on a specific type of material, stone size, etc. In addition to this, you should also seek out the advice of a pro in the event that your coverage area is circular, arched or irregularly shaped. Materials calculators are typically designed to provide answers for those working with rectangular coverage areas. Calculations for other shapes tend to be a bit more complex and involved, so expertise is required.
If you still have questions about how our online materials calculator works, feel free to get in touch with one of the experts here at Braen. We’re also able to help you make plans for uniquely shaped project areas and provide you with valuable advice and input.
We carry a wide variety of sand, stone and gravel products at wholesale prices. Your materials may be picked up in NJ or bulk delivered to project sites throughout parts of NJ, NY, NYC and PA.