Crushed stone is integral to most construction projects. Knowing that you need crushed stone isn’t enough, though; you need to know exactly which type of crushed stone you will require in order to get the job done right.
So which types of crushed aggregate are available in NJ, what are some of the key differences between these different types of stone, and which type is the best fit for your specific project? This post will provide the answers to these questions.
Types of Crushed Stone
Throughout our years in the industry, we’ve encountered many people under the false impression that all crushed stone is essentially the same thing. In reality, this couldn’t be further from the truth.
There are many different varieties of crushed aggregate, each with their own unique merits. Here’s a quick breakdown of the different crushed stone types available from Braen Stone:
- Crushed and Screened – The most basic form of crushed aggregate is crushed and screened stone. As the name suggests, the aggregate is manufactured as stone, is pulverized and crushed down to a specific size. The stone is not further treated and may include dust.
- Washed Clean – This type of crushed stone is similar to crushed and screened stone, but in addition to being carefully crushed and screened to size, the material is also washed clean in order to remove any dust or debris.
- Gravel – Gravel is a relatively small form of aggregate that can be used for both functional and decorative purposes. Some of the most popular types of gravel in NJ and its surrounding areas include pea gravel and round, yellow “Jersey Shore” gravel. Gravel is the perfect size for an array of different landscaping and construction projects.
- Quarry Process – Sometimes referred to as Dense Grade Aggregate or Crusher Run, Quarry Process (QP) is comprised of both crushed stone aggregate and stone dust.
- Riprap Stone – Riprap stone is the largest variety of crushed stone. Riprap may be as large as 9” in size.
- Stone Grits – Stone grits are the smallest form of crushed stone. Grits are formed of very fine particles made from pulverized stone.
Crushed Stone Sizes
In addition to several different types of crushed stone being available for use in NJ and its surrounding areas, most of these varieties of stone also come in different sizes. Some of the most common crushed stone sizes include:
- >1/4” – At less than a quarter of an inch in size, this type of crushed stone (usually stone grits or stone dust) can be used for traction, for filling in void spaces between other aggregate materials, or even for use as a binding agent.
- 1/4” – 3/8” – Crushed stone at this size is the ideal size for accommodating foot and vehicular traffic. This size stone is also great for facilitating healthy drainage.
- 3/4” – One of the most common crushed stone sizes, this size of stone can be used for both construction and decorative landscaping purposes.
- 1” – 2 1/2” – At this size, crushed stone is most often used for construction applications, like controlling the spread of mud across a job site, or as a filler.
- <2 1/2” – The largest and heaviest stones are usually selected for projects where erosion control and shoreline protection are required. Even so, many people choose to use larger stone aggregate for decorative purposes.
Choosing the Right Crushed Stone
Now that we have an understanding about which types of crushed stone are available and the different sizes they come in, it’s time to figure out which material is right for your upcoming project.
Here’s a list of some of the most common landscaping and construction jobs completed throughout NJ and the northeast and the best stone for each:
- Base/Sub Base – Larger, heavier stone can make a great choice for establishing a firm and reliable base or sub base. In addition to this, we highly recommend the use of QP for this purpose. The blend of appropriately sized stone and stone dust helps to promote cohesion which reduces selling and shifting over time.
- Roads and Driveway Surfaces – Generally speaking, decorative gravel or crushed stone in a range between 1/4” to 3/8” is best suited for establishing a firm and reliable driveway or road system.
- Paths and Walkways – Because the size is appropriate for comfortable walking, we usually suggest decorative gravel or crushed stone between 1/4” to 3/8” in size for paths and walkways.
- Patios – If you like the idea of a loose fill patio, you can enjoy having your pick of decorative gravel, and crushed stone ranging from 1/4” to 3/4” in size.
- Mulch Alternative – Because crushed stone between 1/4” to 3/4” is so great at facilitating healthy drainage, it’s a great pick for a mulch alternative in gardens and flower beds. It can also be used for drainage systems.
- Edging Material – 3/4”-2 1/2” crushed stone can be used as an edging material along paths and walkways, or can be used as a decorative tree circle.
- Ballast – Riprap stone from 3”-4” in size can be a great option for railroad ballast.
- Erosion Control – Larger riprap up to 9” in size is highly effective in protecting shorelines against the impact of erosion. This type of material is often found along the shores of rivers, streams, and lakes, and can be used along slopes where landslides are frequent.
- Backfill – Crushed stone from 1”-2 1/2” is great for construction and utility backfill.
- Traction – Stone grits are the best choice for improving traction on pavers and similar materials.
- General Construction – Many contractors find a use for 1”-2 1/2” crushed stone for general purposes throughout a job site.
Should you have any doubts about which type of material is right for you, or about crushed stone sizes, we urge you to reach out to a trusted professional like the experts at Braen Stone.
Buying Crushed Stone in NJ
Braen Stone is the leading supplier of crushed aggregate materials in NJ and its surrounding areas. We offer a huge inventory of aggregate materials in a variety of crushed stone sizes.
Our team of experts is happy to explain the key differences between the different crushed stone sizes and types in order to help you make the best decision for your project. We take pride in manufacturing our aggregate materials locally and guarantee the quality and consistency of our crushed stone.
We always offer the lowest and most competitive wholesale prices in the area. Our crushed stone can be ordered for pickup at our convenient NJ location or can be bulk delivered to areas throughout parts of NJ, NY, NYC, and limited parts of PA. Give us a call or stop by to learn more today.