Crushed stone is a versatile material used for many purposes. Those purposes range from base material for pavers and bricks to dressing up areas for driving or walking. Crushed stone grades are categorized by the size of the stone after it has been crushed. The size of the stone determines what application it will be best used for.
What is Crushed Stone?
By definition crushed stone is a construction aggregate. It is created by mining a suitable rock formation and then breaking down the rock to varying sizes using a crusher. Crushed stone differs from gravel in that gravel has a more rounded shape and is made by the natural processes of weathering and erosion.
Crushed stone is one of the most common and accessible natural resources on the planet. It is one of our most abundant and basic of raw materials. The stone is used in various industries from construction to agriculture.
Even though crushed stone is a low-value commodity it is a good indicator of the health of an economy since it is widely used in the construction industry. Worldwide deposits of stone resources are huge.
Materials for Crushed Stone
Crushed stone can be made from many types of rock. Almost any type of hard rock is a candidate for crushed stones. The following types of rock are the most common used for making the stone:
- Washed gravel
Crushed Stone Grades
The following list gives a rundown of crushed stone grades and their best uses. While there may be slight variances in the naming convention of crushed stone the following are the most common names and sizes:
- Crushed stone #5 – Sizes are from 1″ down to fine particles. For road and paver base.
- Crushed stone #67 – Sizes from 3/4″ down to fine particles. For fill, road and slab base.
- Crushed stone #1 – Sizes are from 2″ to 4″. The largest of the crushed stone grades. For larger jobs such a culvert ballast.
- Crushed stone #8 – Sizes from 3/8″ to 1/2″. For concrete and asphalt mix.
- Crushed stone #3 -Sizes from 1/2″ to 2″. For drainage and railroad projects.
- Crushed stone #10 (also called stone dust) – Screenings or dust. For fabrication of concrete blocks and pavers and for riding arenas.
- Crushed stone #57 – Sizes of about 3/4″. For concrete and asphalt mix, driveways, landscaping and French drains.
- Crushed stone #411 – A mixture of stone dust and #57 stone. For driveways, roads and as a base for retaining walls. It can also be used to patch holes in paved areas. The dust mixes with the larger stone and settles well.
Crushed stone is a basic material used in various capacities. It is a widely used raw asset in the construction industry. The extraction of hard rock that is turned into various crushed stone grades is a great economic indicator. Crushed stone is and will continue to be a very integral part of things we build.
If you have a construction project and need help deciding what crushed stone grade you need, or need crushed stone in bulk for delivery, contact your stone supply company for more information.